Thursday, December 3, 2009

Abstinence is Paying off

Well getting on the scales was not a big let down today. Oh, I know it's not about the numbers and it's more about staying away from those foods which trigger me to overeat, but it is refreshing to weigh in at the gym somewhere between 4 and 6 pounds less and then have it duplicated the next morning here at home.

As I mentioned before, people who eat compulsively need to remain abstinent from their trigger foods. Mine are generally sugar laden, like ice cream and pop and so for a couple weeks now or more, I've cut these from my list of acceptable foods/beverages. It might seem a bit simplistic but it's getting results. My main goal is to lower my blood sugar to an acceptable test level after fasting overnight. So far THAT has not happened, but I am determined and there is power in a "made up mind." I will probably have to modify my food list many times over the next several weeks and months but at least for today I define "abstinence" as no ice cream and no sugared soft drinks. It's a start.

Another small victory for me today was wrestling with the idea of fast food instead of the meal I wrote down when planning the day's menu. Mickey D's lost and I won a skirmish. It's not so much winning a war but being consistent in winning the little battles. Doing battle with the "trolls that live in my soul" is another matter. At least by remaining abstinent I see that there can be victories and in that there is hope for the remaining issues of life.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment